VSA Partners is a design and brand experience firm.
We're designers at the core. We’re dedicated to crafting brand-led enduring moments of impact across the customer experience. We apply our lens of systems thinking and look at improving the parts that add up to the whole. This creates meaning and value across the customer experience.
VSA’s Strategy Practice acts as the leading edge of our effort to invent and reinvent brands for the modern age. By adding more robust, more rigorous strategic offerings to our portfolio—without compromising our ability to translate thinking into design—we create a combination few can match.
The Director, Strategy is a client-facing role that initiates, plans and leads VSA’s strategic efforts for large, program-based clients. Working closely with firm Partners, the Director of Strategy guides the project team in framing a client’s business challenges, determining the optimal approach to develop required deliverables, and establishing the brand and/or communications strategy that will best address those challenges in forward-looking and far-reaching ways.
VSA Partners is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive, equitable environment for all employees. All employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit and business need.
- Develop an understanding of a client’s business situation in the context of their industry, economic environment, customer dynamics and competitive landscape.
- Coordinate and lead VSA strategic efforts on behalf of the client, including: industry and competitive analysis; consumer/stakeholder research and analysis; organizational/cultural analysis; brand positioning and architecture; multi-year messaging and communications planning; development of metrics for success.
- Lead strategic conversations with clients at the highest level of their organization and contribute to long-term, programmatic relationships.
- Coordinate and lead primary research, including quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
- Develop diagrams, frameworks and other conceptual models to define and contextualize key strategic elements, insights, or other important inputs.
- Lead efforts to create strategy deliverables, presentations, and discussion documents including, but not limited to, research findings, creative briefs, and brand concepts in highly logical ways that clarify key points and help clients with difficult strategic decisions.
- Develop client presentations that tell a story, working closely with creative teams to achieve world-class expressions of strategy. Write informative and compelling briefs that inspire designers and writers.
- Stay abreast of trends, industry best practices and case studies to enhance the knowledge base of the strategy discipline proactively.
- Assist project teams with aligning a creative direction that addresses the client’s business needs and strategic objectives.
- Contribute to and/or develops client proposals to actively identify new business opportunities within existing client relationships.
- Contribute thought leadership in specific areas and supports Partners in managing the practice.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- MBA or Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of experience in brand strategy and/or integrated marketing across both digital and traditional mediums.
- Experience developing and measuring the efficacy of digital marketing and communications programs across display advertising, SEO/SEM, social media and eCRM.
- Experience in consumer research, analytics, and/or client-side brand management or marketing.
- Experience working with B2B brands and knowledge of the technology sector.
- Experience and proven track record in managing multiple projects, ability to shift gears between different types of assignments and to keep them running smoothly.
- Strong team player and open learner from colleagues, partners and stakeholders; a mentor and developer of junior staff.
- A strong orientation toward driving business outcomes (business acumen).
- Ability to develop high concepts from multiple inputs and articulate them in business-relevant ways.
- Ability to flourish in multidisciplinary teams and with a certain degree of ambiguity.
- Ability to show initiative and be resourceful.
- Outstanding verbal, writing and presentation skills. Strong skills in developing clear, concise and compelling client deliverables.
- Aptitude and cultural fit to inspire, collaborate with and coordinate multiple agency disciplines, such as digital and print design, IA and experience design, writing and account management.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and eagerness to bring overall value to the company.
- Ability to interact at all levels of the company and with external parties in a professional manner maintaining effective communication, both written and spoken.
- Adept at preemptively identifying problems and devising solutions.
- A commitment to high quality work and to positive and productive relationships with all - clients, team members, peers, managers, etc.
- Skills in complex problem solving, judgment, critical thinking and decision-making.
- Ability to be versatile, handle multiple projects and re-prioritizations, organize information, prioritize, have attention to detail, accurately follow procedures, maintain self-motivation and work independently in team environments.